Anyone has suffered from ear infections at some point in life. There are many causes that lead to these common conditions, such as water entering the ear while we take a bath or swim, particles or insects entering the ear canal, a tooth infection that extends to the ear and so on. In this article we'll offer some tips on how to treat ear infections at home.
Old remedies for ear infections
- Fill a hot water bottle (found in pharmacies) with very hot water, cover it with a towel and keep it on the affected ear. The heat relieves pain and stimulates blood circulation, which helps fight infection.
- Wash and finely chop three large apricots. Heat them in a saucepan and then apply them as a compress on the affected ear.
- Chop a handful of basil leaves and a handful of banana leaves, heat them and apply them as a compress on the affected ear.
- Heat half a tablespoon of olive oil and soak a cotton swab in it. Put the cotton in your ear entrance and let it stand for one hour.
- Peel and crush an onion. Place it in a cloth and heat it in the microwave. Apply it as a compress on the affected ear.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a clove of crushed garlic. Dip a cotton swab in the oil and place it in the affected ear entrance.
- Heat two handful of rice and wrap them in a towel. Put a towel on the pillow and sit down with the affected ear above it.
- In a clean and dry bottle add seven drops of olive oil and the content of a vitamin E capsule. Add two garlic cloves and mix well. Cover the glass with a lid and heat in water bath for one minute. After the liquid was heated, strain it and put a few drops in the ear. This medicine is not recommended if you have a perforated eardrum or pus leaking from your ear.
- Boil two tablespoons of absinthe in one liter of water for 10 minutes. As the liquid cools, let the steam rise up towards the affected ear.
- Squeeze a lemon and soak a piece of cotton in the juice. Place it gently in your ear and let it sit for 10 minutes before bedtime. This remedy is effective in treating pain caused by ear wax accumulation.
- Heat two tablespoons of almond oil. Let it cool until it reaches room temperature, apply two drops in the ear canal and cover with a cotton swab.
- Boil a handful of oregano leaves in half a cup of water for three minutes. Take the bowl from heat and allow the mixture to cool. Strain and pour the liquid into a pipette. Apply three drops in the affected ear (but not if the eardrum is perforated).
- Heat a potato in the microwave at a low temperature. Wrap it in a towel and hold it on the affected ear.
How to avoid pain and ear infections
Do not clean your ears with Q-Tips.
Treat throat infections.
Strengthen your immune system.
Don't borrow other people's headphones.
Avoid swimming in ponds, lakes or rivers.
Avoid swimming in pools containing a lot of chloride.
Don't insert foreign objects into the ear.